Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Two Generations of Style - Lisa Bonet & Zoe Kravitz



My experience is unique. I am mixed but I look white. My parents were hippies but I grew up in a conservative town. My family was always different, never looked like anyone else's family. My female fashion role models, both mother and grandmother, dressed fearlessly. I spent most of my childhood trying to fit in and my teen years struggling to find my own identity. My first experiment in style found me digging through my mother's closet, pairing my leggings with a bold 90s blazer for a middle school dance. I remember that closet well, packed full and incredibly eclectic. Vintage dresses hung next to 90s menswear, hippie skirts and slinky slips. It took me years to come around but in retrospect my mom was always the coolest. 

Enter Lisa Bonet, the ultimate 90s bohemian style icon. Growing up with "The Cosby Show" I had always looked up to artsy, free-spirited Denise. As cool as Denise was, Lisa Bonet was larger than life. Her style was crazy, inspired, carefree. She helped usher Generation X in to a new decade, we weren't kids anymore. By the time Lenny Kravitz sang "Are You Gonna Go My Way?" the 90s hippie style resurgence was in full swing and my friends and I were convinced that he was our generations Jimi. I remember seeing pictures of Lisa and Lenny with their baby girl and thinking that they had it made. A few years later things changed. Trends came and went, we traded Lenny Kravitz in for Kurt Cobain, Neo-Hippie in for Grunge and Lisa Bonet disappeared off of my radar. 

When I saw Zoe Kravitz on screen as Nia in "It's Kind of a Funny Story" I had no idea who she was. She was beautiful, her acting was on point and honestly I am always excited to see mixed chicks in movies or on TV, there is a curiosity and a kinship there. By the time the credits rolled I was surprised to find out who she was. Now I see her everywhere. She is the perfect combination of her parents. She has her fathers rock n' roll edge but she is every bit her mothers daughter. She is breathtaking and her style is fresh and flawless. Like her mother she could wear anything well but she makes brave choices anyway. Her look is eclectic and charming. She is young, vibrant and seriously hip. She took me back to the vault for this post, and for that I am thankful. I am so glad to see that Generation Y has it's own Lisa Bonet.

xo - jocelyn

1 comment:

  1. I saw a brief feature of her in one of my sis-in-law's magazines. I was immediately intrigued by the girl in the photograph before I read that she's Lenny Kravitz and Lisa Bonet's daughter.. I got it right away. She has the same hippy/cool vibe.. and it's all natural..

    ReplyDelete