Friday, June 8, 2012

I Think Kitty Pryde is Made of Magic.

Maybe that is symptomatic of a bigger problem. Regression? Arrested development? Totally possible. I am a grown ass woman but I am also a 14 year old girl. Maybe every woman is sometimes - when you like a boy, when you don't get whatever the grown-up equivalent of a pony is, when you just want to wear your favorite ripped up t-shirt and not brush your hair, when you hear a song that hits the spot...





Her music is obviously not for me and her tumblr makes my eyes ache but I can't stop watching and I can't stop listening. There is some simple, sweet perfection to it. Her rhymes are cute, heartbreaking, true and funny. Obviously something in her delivery speaks to Beautiful Lou too - the dreamy production of Okay Cupid is flawless. Then there is the mystery of the thing. Teenagers are painfully transparent these days so it's not hard to buy what she's selling - a clever suburban teen who works at Claires, has a tight grip on pop culture and a sick flow. Of course, the internet can be tricksy and there is always a possibility that the wonders that it births are not as authentic as they seem. It's not hard to imagine that she is a carefully crafted trap but if she is I've fallen in...




Her music is a reminder that we've entered an age where anyone can be anything that they want. Generation X carried that banner but we never really believed our own hype. Even at our most angsty we were all still terribly uptight. There is a new generation of kids who have so much freedom and so much inspiration. I care about real hip hop but I don't feel like it is a fragile thing that needs to be protected. I say let goofy white girls rap if they want to. She is not hurting anyone. She is expressing herself and that's good. Her generation is not confined by our stereotypes and they can't help but put all of their ish on blast. I certainly can't relate to it but I do appreciate the cultural significance.





The 14 year old girl in me loves this but really, I don't envy teenagers. Being a teenager is the effing worst.

xo - jocelyn


Images: Bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment